My name is Laura and I am the founder of The Well, which is a nonprofit focused on mentoring women in extreme situations. We come alongside women who may be in an abusive relationship, stuck in sexual exploitation, experiencing an unplanned pregnancy, depressed, wearing thin as a single mom, or struggling with self-harm.
I started The Well when my family was in its own crisis. We were dealing with job loss, homelessness, and an unexpected pregnancy. Depression and anxiety had taken up residence in our family, and it felt like the the darkness would overcome us. It was during this time that God called us out on the water with him...to trust him in storm...and call others out on the water with Him as well. It's there on the water with Jesus where I found that miracles happen. We didn't end up sinking...in fact we were rescued and sent to rescue others that feel trapped and hopeless.
The Well has been operating since 2013, serving women in ways that not only transforms their lives, but the lives of their children and surrounding communities. As we have been growing we realized the need to bring in more funding in order keep growing and loving on women and their families. We have a very entrepreneurial spirit in our family so instead of asking for money we decided to start a business that would help support the work we are doing at The Well. That's where AGENT was birthed out of...a desire to bring strength and dignity to women who would buy our heels as well as an avenue for customers to be able to give toward the stories of the women we are loving on at The Well.
High heels (or...Stilettos) have been an icon for prostitution, sexuality, and power. At AGENT we want to #redeemtheheel and change the narrative. We want it to be a symbol of strength, dignity, and an opportunity to be a voice for the voiceless. We would love for you to join our movement and help shift the culture through purposeful purchasing and being an AGENT for change.
A little more about me...
- I love change...the seasons, moving, watching my kids grow, meeting new people, new ideas...
- Trees and mountains make my heart happy. I got to go to Nepal in college and climb up to the Annapurna Base camp in the Himalayas....hardest thing I have ever done!
- I lived in Tanzania Africa for a year after college and got proposed to by my best friend on Mount Kilimanjaro!
- Always Chai Tea
- I have the best 4 kiddos in the world and one on the way!!
- I started The Well in 2013 when we were job less, homeless, and pregnant...yikes!
- I love to read missionary biographies! Chasing the Dragon by Jackie Pullinger is amazing...you should read it!
- I love to travel and experiencing new places
- I grew up sailing in the Apostle Islands with my family...being on the water feels like home.
- I see life through the lens of my camera